It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:59 am

the unisphere

a forum to discuss the works of Peter F Hamilton

I re-read Night's Dawn recently

Talk about the Night's Dawn trilogy and other related stories here

I re-read Night's Dawn recently

Post by simkine » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:09 pm

The Reality Dysfunction was the first I would say 'real' SF book I read. I say 'real' in the sense that my SF reading up to that point was really more 'fantasy in space' or written so long ago the technology of today and our current knowledge sort of make it less interesting to enjoy. This was the first time I encountered the sort of hard sci-fi as well as space opera book.

Anyway, from a heavy fantasy reader, this book blew my mind and jump started me onto reading all the SF I'd been missing out on all these years. When I finished the series, I had a few complaints and really didn't like the whole possessed plot which is kind of silly since that's the whole point of the books. I just liked reading about the space ships, the different worlds, the battles all the weird aliens and technology.

I've went on to re-read most of PFH's books several times but never TND. I wanted to enjoy my memories of it and not think about the 'space zombies' aspect. But after almost 10 years I thought I'd give it another go after reading after so many other books and seeing if it holds up.

I have to say I enjoyed it even more the second time. I appreciated the possessed plot more and was more sympathetic to them. With so much time since reading the books, I forgot a lot of the little things happening which added a richness to the story. Even the ending which I remembered as quite jarring didn't bother me the second time. I was only sad it ended and we'll never see what is to come next.

I'm looking forward to reading them again in another 10 years :lol:

p.s. Gods, those were huge novels.

Re: I re-read Night's Dawn recently

Post by chitman13 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:52 pm

I've been thinking about doing the same for quite some time now, especially as I've read the Commonwealth novels and Fallen Dragon so many times, but NDT only once or twice. The problem is finding the time! Good to hear they're still enjoyable though :)
Walker of Worlds - a blog of sci-fi reviews, news and general ramblings

"Efficiency is just a highly developed form of laziness."

Post by Gore Burnelli » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:26 pm

The thing is with Peter's novels... where you started reading his output defines which section you love forever; Mark Chitty and I both started with Pandora's Star so The Commonwealth Saga is where we return to again and again. Others have started with Night's Dawn and say that remains their favourite. There may be some who started with The Dreaming Void and swear the Void books are the best ever (not for me to argue) or Greg Mandel, or Red Dragon or Misspent Youth (hard to believe I know). Like your first love I suppose (getting a bit mushy now, I hope Peter doesn't read this)
Of all the things I value most in life,
I see my memories, and feel their warmth
And know that they are good,
You know that I should!

Post by vonee » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:58 am

I just finished reading it again .... Been quite some years since my last re read.
I was struck by how it is almost an allegory for today's world.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that?

Post by Begbie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:05 am

This was actually the last of Hamilton's books I read until Salvation came out. Don't know why. I tried to read it a couple of times, but, it seemed like the beginning was very heavy on the "science" part of SF.

Now that I've read it, I'm sorry I didn't read it sooner. I loved that each book was over 1000 pages, and all the multiple story lines. There were actually times when I started a new chapter, and seeing who the chapter was focused on, I would say to myself "Wow, I forgot about that guy."

Return to Confederation Universe