It is currently Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:35 am

the unisphere

a forum to discuss the works of Peter F Hamilton

Blue Remembered Earth - Reynolds

Here is where to come to discuss anything else

Re: Blue Remembered Earth - Reynolds

Post by Gore Burnelli » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:14 am

Terminal World was certainly a unique book - there was a lot to figure out, especially which planet it was set on, and some idea of the chronology was difficult.
Of all the things I value most in life,
I see my memories, and feel their warmth
And know that they are good,
You know that I should!

Post by GardenGuy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Terminal World seemed to leave enough open at the end to suggest a sequel which I would enjoy.

I just ordered Blue Remembered Earth (finally) and have Neal Asher's first Owner series book - The Departure on the way. (& #2 -Zero Point to be ordered when it comes out) So, along with GRN from PFH, I'll be immersed in all new worlds from three of my favorite authors this summer/fall.

I just finished a rather large but thoroughly enjoyable space opera - Leviathan Wakes - by James SA Corey (which is the pen-name for two authors). Large setting with Mars, Earth the outer planets and the "belt" as major players but all told, alternatingly, between a detective and a ship captain's POV (who's story lines come together eventually). Lot's of action Book#2 out soon - Caliban's War. Great summer read!

Post by Gore Burnelli » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:53 pm

I finally got around to reading Blue Remembered Earth - a good read but many of the plot twists could be seen from a mile off. I suspect that Reynold's 10 book, £1 million deal may have had a part in changing his writing style - making his writing less dark and easily readable. I had a spell reading thrillers earlier this year... 18 novels and some short stories about Jack Reacher and three books by David Baldacci. Currently reading The Lost Fleet Beyond the Frontier - Invincible by
Jack Campbell; in the queue are - On the Steel Breeze by Alastair Reynolds and Proxima by Stephen Baxter. Just finished Homeworld (Odyssey One) by Evan Currie - another excellent book in this enjoyable series but I will have to wait for the next installment before deciding whether the ending was naff... or totally inspired!
You know that I should!

Post by GardenGuy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 pm

I too enjoyed BRE. I was amazed at how un-stress-filled it was compared to most Reynolds books. Nice basic plot and mystery to solve. I have the sequel on the way -On a Steel Breeze - and that is supposed to continue the basic premise and have new characters, from the same family. It uses the first book as a jumping off point so only nodding references to the first book. I'm looking forward to it and sort of hope it is just as un-stress-filled. I'll be getting enough stress from Asher's third Owner novel - Jupiter War. (The first two were stress (in a good way) from cover to cover). Currently finishing up Chris Wooding's Ketty Jay series with the Ace of Skulls - truly a remarkable series with enjoyable, ever evolving characters and plot. One of the tightest series I've ever read in Sci-fi. Check it out!

Post by Gore Burnelli » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:30 am

I read Retribution Falls - the first of the Ketty Jay books and wasn't impressed; not a bad read but it seemed like... "Pirates of the Caribbean... IN SPACE!!!!". I might return to the series in the future - you never know! "On the Steel Breeze" has been released now (26th September), so is in my queue to be read. So many good books out there to be read, and so little time.
You know that I should!

Post by simkine » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:29 pm

I enjoyed the Ketty Jay books. They are a bit light (pun) in some aspects but I found them enjoyable popcorn reads sort of like Firefly - Bunch of misfits get into tight situations have to work together to survive. Also, they aren't in space ;)

Looking forward to Steel Breeze will get to it soon.

Post by Gore Burnelli » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:39 am

I have finished On The Steel Breeze at the weekend and enjoyed it thoroughly. The best Reynolds book I have read, and I have read all his novels and most of his short stories. Now I have to wait for the final instalment of Poseidon's Children to find out what happens with Chiku Akinya and the Watchkeepers.
You know that I should!

Post by Gore Burnelli » Fri May 22, 2015 2:48 pm

Well; I have now read Poseidon's Wake the last book in Poseidon's Children (although it was initially described on Amazon as a stand-alone novel, which is not true), and I must say that it is the best book that I have read in a long, long time. At times it has a jaw-dropping sense of wonder about it, with many clever twists and "I didn't see that coming" moments, as well as massive ideas... and elephants!! (mainly Tantors and The Risen, who are a kind of post-elephant) and spans a couple of centuries with two main, ultimately intertwining threads, although the revelations encompass billions of years. Well done to Mr Reynolds, and I say to Mr Hamilton... Follow That (pretty please).
You know that I should!

Previous

Return to The General Forum